Laingsburg Local Municipality (WC051)
Private Bag X4, Laingsburg, 6900Physical:
2 Van Riebeeck Street, LaingsburgTel:
023 551 1019Fax:
023 551 1019Web: www.laingsburg.gov.za
Description: Laingsburg Local Municipality is a friendly, modern Karoo town, only 280km from Cape Town. The town lies in a geologically fascinating area, steeped in history and tradition. It is a worthwhile and hospitable stop on the busy N1 highway through the Great Karoo. It dates back to the mid-1700s. In those years, farmers along the banks of the Buffels River offered hospitality to adventurers brave enough to cross the mountains and venture out onto the arid plains of the Great Karoo. In exchange for news of Cape Town and the civilized world, as well as gossip garnered from other farms along the way, these isolated farmers of the interior offered accommodation, sustenance and fodder. Many early officials and explorers, such as Barrow, Lichtenstein, De Mist and Swellengrebel, wrote of the people they met in what was later to become the district of Laingsburg. They described the Karoo as "awesome, hot, dry and dusty. An inhospitable land peppered with friendly outspans, veritable jewels in the desert".Cities/Towns:
Laingsburg, MatjiesfonteinMain Economic Sectors:
Agriculture, finance, construction, community services
2 408Population Growth:
2.16% p.a. Unemployment Rate:
Political ManagementComposition of Council:
ANC 3, DA 3, COPE 1Mayor:
Mr Wilhelm DuP Theron Other Members of Council:
Bertie van As (Deputy Mayor), Henry Horn (Speaker), Petrus Botes, Mike Gouws, Maggie Bobbejee
Administrative ManagementMunicipal Manager:
Mr Pedro WilliamsChief Financial Officer:
Ms Alida GroenewaldLED Officer:
Ms Gwynne PekeurOther Senior Management:
Jan Venter (Head: Technical Department), Neil Hendrikse (Head: Traffic Services), Peter Post (Internal Auditor), Noeline Gouws (Administation)
|All values: R'000||2013/14||2012/13||2011/12|
|AUDIT OUTCOME ||n/a||Financially unqualified with findings||Financially unqualified with findings|
|Property rates||2 787||2 312||5 070|
|Service charges||14 263||11 934||8 185|
|Transfers recognised - operational||11 123||13 994||9 754|
|Other own revenue||6 118||5 387||4 985|
|Total Revenue (excluding capital transfers and contributions)||34 513||34 285||28 515|
|Employee costs||10 675||9 481||8 265|
|Remuneration of councillors||2 201||2 079||1 973|
|Depreciation & asset impairment||10 862||9 687||9 929|
|Materials and bulk purchases||6 658||5 677||4 782|
|Transfers and grants||3 910||3 572||1 074|
|Other expenditure||11 737||14 364||10 569|
|Total Expenditure||46 043||44 861||36 592|
|Surplus/(Deficit)||(11 529)||(10 576)||(8 076)|
|Transfers recognised - capital||15 825||10 387||9 083|
|Contributions recognised - capital & contributed assets||-||-||-|
|Surplus/(Deficit) after capital transfers & contributions||4 295||(189)||1 007|
|Share of surplus/(deficit) of associate||-||-||-|
|Surplus/(Deficit) for the year||4 295||(189)||1 007|
|CAPITAL EXPENDITURE & FUNDS SOURCES|
|Capital expenditure||12 930||10 181||10 245|
|Transfers recognised - capital||13 637||5 982||9 789|
|Public contributions & donations||1 026||-||-|
|Internally generated funds||(1 733)||4 198||456|
|Total sources of capital funds||12 930||10 181||10 245|
|Total current assets||11 613||13 322||14 776|
|Total non current assets||155 524||152 008||143 795|
|Total current liabilities||8 160||7 208||6 145|
|Total non current liabilities||5 436||8 351||7 300|
|Community wealth/Equity||153 542||149 771||145 125|
|Net cash from (used) operating||12 962||8 935||8 935|
|Net cash from (used) investing||(12 930)||(11 017)||(8 988)|
|Net cash from (used) financing||63||40||53|
|Cash/cash equivalents at the year end||8 054||(2 043)||-|
|UNAUTHORISED, IRREGULAR, FRUITLESS & WASTEFUL EXPENDITURE|
|Unauthorised expenditure||n/a||12 228||5 286|
|Irregular expenditure||n/a||7 709||8 452|
|Fruitless & wasteful expenditure||n/a||610||26|
|SOURCE||S71 Unaudited||S71 Audited||S71 Audited|
- S71 Unaudited figures are sourced from the MFMA S71 4th Quarter Schedule C reports, made available by the National Treasury. The schedules are available at http://mfma.treasury.gov.za/Media_Releases/s71/Pages/default.aspx.
- S71 Audited figures are prior year audited figures sourced from the MFMA S71 Schedule C reports.
- If the relevant S71 Schedule C figures are unavailable, prior year audited figures may be taken from the relevant Audited Financial Statements. The source is then indicated as AFS. Links are provided under the Resources section on this site.
- S71 Schedule C reports are in the format for monthly and quarterly municipal financial statements as prescribed by the Municipal Budget and Reporting Regulations. S71 Schedule C figures are standardised to the prescribed format and may differ from figures shown in the Audited Financial Statements. Where we have captured figures directly from the Audited Financial Statements, we have endeavoured to follow the S71 Schedule C format.
- Unauthorised, Irregular, Fruitless and Wasteful Expenditure is sourced from the Consolidated general report on the audit outcomes of local government, published annually by the Auditor-General South Africa. If the figures are unavailable in this report, they may be sourced from the Annual Financial Statements of the relevant municipality.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest R'000. R0 values are reflected as ‘-’. Values that are unavailable are reflected as ‘n/a’.
Tenders are published in the newspapers, and on municipal notice boards, posters and on the municipal website.
LED ActivitiesKey Investment Opportunities:
Zoutekloof Guest Farm/House; Floriskraal Dam Development; arts and crafts; Laingsburg Caravan Park; Matjiesfontein Cactus and Herb Project; fly fishing; wind farms; solar energy.
Links/ResourcesMunicipal TendersAnnual ReportsAnnual Report 2012/13Audited Financial StatementsAFS 2012/13AFS 2011/12AFS 2010/11MFMA Section 71 – Schedule CSchedule C 2013/14Schedule C 2012/13Schedule C 2011/12
The information in this directory is supplied and/or externally sourced
and is also subject to continual change. If you notice any errors or omissions, please contact us at email@example.com
so that we can correct it.